Please call the day before if you have anything other than household garbage. We will take appliances, furniture, carpet, tree trimmings, etc. The charge for these things will be added to your next bill. Microwaves can be dropped off for free at the Household Hazardous Waste Facility.
The trash should be out by 7 a.m. If we missed you, call and we will get it that day or first thing the next morning. If it wasn't picked up because of not being out on time, there will be a $5.00 charge to come back when our schedule allows ($15.00 outside of Brandon city limits) or you can have double the next week with no extra charge
RECYCLING COLLECTION SCHEDULE
Recycling is picked up on the 1st and 3rd service day of each month and should be put out by 7 am. Recycling is included in your monthly charge, and we urge you to read the Recycling page and make recycling part of your routine. Sioux Falls Landfill ordinance prohibits us from taking trash with visible required recyclables. If you use your own containers be sure they have a tightly fitted lid (Landfill ordinance). If you choose to rent our 96-gallon tip cart for your recyclables, remember that normal wear and tear is expected but you will be liable for damage to the cart resulting from misuse or from paint, chemicals or heat/fire, etc.
HOLIDAY COLLECTION SCHEDULE
We do not work on the following 6 holidays:
|• New Years Day||• Labor Day|
|• Memorial Day||• Thanksgiving Day|
|• Independence Day||• Christmas Day|
Following a holiday, service each day through Thursday of that week will be delayed by one day. Friday service is only affected if the holiday actually falls on Friday, thus causing it to be picked up on Thursday (one day early).
Residential hazardous waste includes:
|• chemicals||• electronics|
|• cleaners||• flammables|
|• paints||• needles & syringes|
|• batteries||• car fluids|
The Sioux Falls Household Hazardous Waste Facility is the FREE drop-off point for hazardous wastes and electronics. Their phone number is 367-8695. The Web address is siouxfalls.org/green
- Drop-off Hours: Tuesday – Friday: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturday 8 a.m. – 12 noon
- FREE of charge
- You may also pick up any free leftover chemicals or paint items for your personal household use at the Reuse Room, which is inside the Household Hazardous Waste building.
Effective May 4, 2004, a City of Sioux Falls ordinance banned electronics from the Sioux Falls Regional Sanitary Landfill because they often contain amounts of heavy metals and harmful chemicals, such as lead and cadmium, which can compromise the effectiveness of landfill liners. Additionally, various components of electronics can be reused in newer technologies or recycled. Items accepted at the Household Hazardous Waste Facility include:
|Desktop PCs (CPUs)||Monitors||Keyboards|
|Mice||Cords & Cables||Televisions|
|Modems||Laptop PCs||Main Frames|
|Hard Drives||CD ROM/Zip/Tape Drives||CD/DVD Players|
|Word Processors||Palm Organizers||Printers (laser & jet)|
|VCRs/Laser Disc Players||Record Players||Video Game Players|
|Joystick/Game Controls||CBs/Two-Way Radios||Cameras|
|Portable CD Players||Typewriters||Copy Machines|
|Fax Machines||Adding Machines||Scanners|
|Answering Machines||Cell Phones/Pagers||Microwaves|
|Click here to download City of Sioux Falls Electronics Recycling Guide|
PAINT AND CHEMICALS
Empty paint cans or those with completely hardened paint may be placed in with your regular garbage. Remove the lid first. Otherwise, paint and hazardous waste need to be taken to the Sioux Falls Hazardous Waste facility.
Needles or syringes that are not properly disposed of can be a serious health hazard. Help prevent injuries by properly disposing of needles and syringes in a puncture-resistant container. The Home Healthcare Needle Disposal Program provides free needle/sharps disposal containers through participating pharmacies. DO NOT EVER put sharps or other healthcare related equipment into your recycling container. For more information concerning needle disposal click this link: Sioux Falls Sharps Disposal Program
YARD WASTE / COMPOST SERVICE
- Use paper bags or our compost carts. No trash cans or plastic bags, please.
- Please keep the weight of bags to 40lbs. (similar to softener salt)
- Please have the cart or bags at the curb by 6 am on Wednesdays.
WE HAVE TWO OPTIONS FOR COMPOST SERVICE
1. ON CALL Compost Service:
- Call before 5 p.m. on Tuesday for Wednesday service.
- Pay for this stop with stickers.
- $6 covers the stop and one cart or 2 bags. Additional bags are $1 each.
- If you don't have stickers on the compost, we will leave stickers in your door but take off what we need for that day.
- The cost of stickers is $20 for a sheet of 20 $1 stickers.
- Note: If you choose not to use stickers a $2 office charge will be added each time we stop.
- You may use our compost cart (green lid) for the season for a one-time charge of $12.
2. WEEKLY Compost Service:
- A 96gal compost cart (green lid) will be provided.
- Wednesday is the service day. You will not have to call.
- The cost is $125 including tax, for service from April 12 through Nov. 15. (32 Wednesdays), barring early snowfall.
- Extra carts are available for $12 per cart for the season.
- The charge to dump an extra cart is $2.
- Extra bags of grass need a $1 sticker on each.
Or, you may CLICK HERE to fill out a form to sign up for Weekly Compost Service.